There is nothing more wonderful than coming home after work and finding that dinner is ready to go! I have been making this Dahl recipe quite a bit! now that I am working full time in the city, the commute home can take anywhere to 1.5 – 2 hours home! and often cooking a healthy meal for dinner is the last thing on my mind.
What I love about this recipe, is that you can pop all the dry ingredients into the slow cooker the night before. The next morning simply add the wet ingredients and off you go!
I N G R E D I E N T S
3 cups of dried organic legumes ( I use 1 cup of red lentils, 1 cup of mung beans and 1 cup of brown lentils)
1 large onion, diced
4 garlic cloves crushed (optional but delicious!)
2 tablespoons of fresh ginger, grated or very finely sliced.
1 tablespoon organic tumeric powder
1 bay leaf, whole
3 cardamon pods, use your finger to lightly crush.
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, ground or whole
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
2 teaspoons fennel seeds
1 can organic diced tomatoes (BPA free can please!)
6 cups of water
1/2 can coconut milk (optional but makes the dish extra creamy)
S & P to season.
M E T H O D
1. In a small pan, lightly heat the spices to toast the seeds. Place seeds into slow cooker.
2. Rinse the legumes and add to slow cooker.
3. Add in remaining ingredients and give a good stir.
4. Turn on the slow cooker, I like to have mine on high throughout the day – keep in mind that every slow cooker is slightly different and the low setting may work best for you.
5. Serve with warm quinoa, or brown rice. topped with fresh coriander leaves and/or a sprinkle of black sesame leaves.
optional: lightly saute mushrooms in a little ghee, salt and pepper and serve on top of your Lentil Dahl.