It’s come to the end of our amazing road trip around Europe and time to enjoy London…well for another week before the family arrives for the Cimino Winter Christmas! Then its straight to the airport.
One of the amazing things (and there are so many!) about driving around Europe is all the food we got to enjoy along the way! But wow did I miss a stove top, oven and all those wonderful kitchen gadgets.
Back in London and settling into winter we were craving something warm, nourishing and slow cooked… Ta Da this soup was born! The ginger, chilli and turmeric are all warming spices, perfect for the European winter.
This recipe is Vegetarian, Gluten free, High protein, High fiber, Sugar free, Wholefood, Simple and Dairy free*
I N G R E D I E N T S
1kg of organic carrots, washed and roughly chopped
3/4 cup organic red lentils
1 whole brown onion, chopped
3 large garlic cloves, crushed
3-4cm of ginger, chopped
1 teaspoon organic turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon coconut oil
sea salt and cracked pepper to season
3 tablespoons of pepita seeds
fresh parsley to serve
a dollop of yoghurt to serve (use coconut yoghurt to keep it dairy free and vegan)
M E T H O D
1. In a heavy based pot dry roast the cumin seeds and chilli, until fragrant.
2. Add coconut oil into the pot and sautee onion, garlic and ginger until soft.
3. Add carrots and stock into the pot and simmer on a low heat until softened.
4. Add lentils and continue to cook until softened.
5. Using a stick blender, blend until smooth. If you don’t have a stick blender you can transfer into a blender and process there.
6. dry roast the pepita seeds in a small pan and sprinkle with over the soup with a dollop yoghurt/kefir
– for a little variety use coconut kefir rather than yoghurt for extra fermented boost