At one of our travel stops in Spain I found a bag of organic buckwheat for ONE Euro…needless to say (after a little begging and convincing Rob that I ABSOLUTELY had to have it and that I would use it traveling) I bought it … I did not however ever use it on the road (whoops!) So now that our legs are stretched out of the driving position and I’m back into an indoor kitchen it was time for some fun!
From all our different stops I had collected bits and pieces that I wanted to use – pepitas, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, seed mix blend – yeah, My food shopping addiction is real – so I wanted to incorporate them too.
This loaf is seriously bursting with health benefits, but it’s quite far from the high sugar white flour fruit loaves – more crunchy, a little crumbly and delicious toasted with organic butter.
Seeds such as pumpkin seeds (pepitas), sunflower seeds, linseeds (flaxseeds), chia seeds, sesame seeds etc all have a unique nutrient profile but they all contain delicious levels of zinc and other essential minerals. Enjoying them whole provides the digestive system with fiber, both soluble and insoluble which helps to remove waste, promote digestion, support good bacteria amongst other things.
From my traveling (reads: from all the foods I don’t normally eat while traveling) my thyroid has been rather grumpy so I have been adding organic wild harvested seaweed to my cooking! It is also the secret ingredient in this recipe! Seaweed is naturally big in iodine, thyroid’s best friend! Note: consult your health practitioner before adding extra seaweed into your diet and lifestyle.
This Recipe is Gluten free, Grain free, Wheat free, Refined Sugar free, Dairy free, Paleo, Wholefood, simply delicious
I N G R E D I E N T S
1 cup of buckwheat groats
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup of mixed nuts (hazelnuts, almonds, pistachios, cashews)
2 tablespoons pine nuts
1/2 teaspoon chopped Dulse flakes – I used organic wild harvest dulse from Ireland
1/4 cup organic sugar free / sulfur free cranberries
2-3 dried figs
2 tbsp maple syrup
Pinch of salt
1 -1.5 cup of water
M E T H O D
1. In a small pan dry roast the nuts and seeds separately and add into a mixing bowl to cool.
2. Mix well and add chopped seaweed.
3. Lightly chop dry fruit and add to bowl. Mix well.
4. Add 1 cup of the water and stir well. Ensure everything is covered in the water and let sit for at least an hour. If the mixture is too dry add a little bit extra water and stir again.
5. Place on bench top overnight to set.
6. The next day preheat the oven to 160 degrees and place loaf mixture into a lined baking tin. I used a bread tin. Bake until golden brown and loaf is firm through. This can take approx 2 hours depending on your oven and choice of baking tin.
7. Remove from oven, allow to cool completely before cutting.
8. Enjoy toasted with fresh organic butter.
** recipe inspired by My New Roots – Life Changing Loaf Of Bread **