Macadamias represent the true essence of Australia – and for me, they are the memory of the many hours sitting under my Nonno’s Macadamia tree with a hammer, cracking them open on the concrete path and munching on them for hours.
Figs are my summer favourite, I am fortunate enough that my dad has 4 very large (and very fruitful) fig trees, bursting with fruit! One of my favourite weekend activity is struggling with the net and collecting buckets of fresh figs with dad – naturally, I pick the biggest one I can find and enjoy it straight from the tree.
Nutritionally, both macadamias and figs have a rather impressive health profile. Macadamias are a delicious source of monounsaturated fats and rich in minerals such as magnesium, and potassium – and it goes without saying they are a plant source of protein.
Figs are naturally high in fibre, and a rich source of trace essential minerals – interestingly they are sometimes called ‘the testicle fruit’ due to their ‘hanging’ appearance.
This recipe is grain free, gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, free from added sugar and vegan.
I N G R E D I E N T S
100g of fresh macadamias, roughly chopped
4 fresh large figs
1 cup of chipped coconut
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
pinch of sea salt
M E T H O D
preheat the oven to 140 Degrees Celcius
- add all the macadamias, coconut, pumpkin seeds, almonds and sesame seeds into a large mixing bowl. set aside.
- roughly chop 2 – 3 of the figs and place into a small pan, add the spices and a splash of water/coconut water / or orange juice. simmer on a low heat until softened.
- using a stick blender, blend the fig mixture until mostly smooth and allow to cool a little.
- pour fig mixture over dry granola and mix well.
- Place granola evening onto a lined baking tray and place into the oven for 20-30 minutes checking frequently that it is not burning and to mix to evening roast. cook until golden and crunchy.
- remove from oven and allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight glass jar.