Oh Autumn, there you are! It took some time to get to us but this cold wet and autumn day has finally arrived – and this usually comes with the arrival of other things… sore throats, coughs and colds.
Our immune system is a wondrous thing and there are simple things we can do to prevent getting sick in the first place, but if a bug does get through our line of defense here are our must-have products for your first aid kit.
P R E V E N T I O N
- Fresh produce is always high on any prevention list. Enjoy a variety of seasonal produce, and enjoy their many benefits – phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals, antoxidants… they all support health and prevent illness.
- Give that gut some love! around 80% of our immune system comes from our digestive health. Enjoying fibre rich foods, seasonal produce, fermented foods and clean filtered water all support gut health.
- Sunshine and vitamin D. Receptors on our skin love sunshine, and Vitamin D supports a healthy immune system. Speak with your health professional and ask about checking your Vitamin D levels.
F I R S T A I D K I T
- Zinc: all my clients know how much I love zinc and its many benefits. Zinc can support the body by reducing symptoms of a cold and reduce the severity. Zinc can be used to prevent the onset of a cold.
- Vitamin C: you have been living under a rock if you don’t think of vitamin C for a cold. Vitamin c powder is my usual go-to as it coats the throat and perfect for the early stages of a cold. This can also be used to prevent the onset of a cold.
- Bone Broth / stock: your nutrient powerhouse and soothing warm drink all in one. If you don’t have the time to make your own, that’s ok! there are lots of organic choices on the market! fresh, dehydrated, concentrated are all good choices – fresh is always best.
- Probiotics: as mentioned above, give that tum some love. Our microbiome has many important jobs in the body, give them a boost with a good quality and multi-strain probiotic.
- Herbal Medicine: I adore the magic of herbal medicine! Herbs such as Echinacea and Andrographis can provide immune support, while Licorice can sooth, Elecampane supports a cough and Thyme is that delicious herb that can help fight to keep bugs away.
Before starting any herbal medicine, you should always speak with your health professional as what may be right for you, may not be right for your friends and family.
Stay healthy this winter x Alyce (BHs Naturopathy)