Winter has arrived and with its arrival we welcome slow cooked nurturing foods! Spaghetti Bolognese is not a new recipe but you can give it a healthy boost by adding in extra veggies, and lentils! Lentils help to increase protein and fibre intake and adding extra vegetables add in vitamins and minerals!
This recipe is a favourite in our home, I like to make big batches and portion them out for tomorrows lunches or even freeze for another time. It is such a versatile recipe that you can enjoy it served with gluten-free pasta (San Remo Lentil pasta is one of our faves – not sponsored! just love the ingredients, nutritional information and taste..) or enjoy it as is; in a big bowl topped with ripe avocado and a sprinkle of savoury yeast flakes.
This recipe is Gluten free, Dairy free, Wholefood, High protein and winter warming
I N G R E D I E N T S
1 onion, finely chopped
2 bay leaves
2 celery stalk, finely chopped
2 carrot, finely chopped
1 zucchini, grated
3 garlic cloves, crushed
250g punnet cherry tomatoes
500g organic beef mince
400g organic canned brown lentils, rinsed, drained
Basil leaves, lightly torn
1 jar of pure passata + splash of water or stock
a pinch of dried oregano salt + pepper to taste
(optional: add in fresh chili for an extra hit of warmth)
M E T H O D
- In a medium pot, warm the olive oil and add in the garlic, onion and bay leaves. cook until soft and clear. Add the mince and cook through.
- Add in the celery and carrots and stir before adding in the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer on a low heat for 30 – 60 minutes until the flavours dance and the ingredients are cooked through.
- Serve with gluten free pasta, zucchini zoodles or spoon over roasted sweet potato.
* recipe also shared with Northern Beaches FAMILY LIVING MAGAZINE