I opened the fridge and stared into its depths… yep there is simply nothing, nothing at all. Ok so perhaps it was more that I wasn’t in the mood to cook, or that I was so hungry that I couldn’t wait to eat or that I just wanted to go and have a swim at the beach 😉
Whatever the reason was, I’m glad I gazed into the veggie crisper for long enough to create this delicious bite. Since it graced our kitchen bench it has been a dinner, lunch and even a breakfast – talk about meal prep at its finest!
So far this week I have heard from several of my clients, “I don’t have time for breakfast” – and its only Wednesday! This is the perfect go to breakfast!
Leek is a liver loving food – it helps supports elimination pathways. Chard is high in iron and the lemon adds vitamin c to support absorption. The eggs bring the protein and the sunflower seeds minerals. To make it a complete meal, add a little extra good fat (such as avocado, fish, hemp seeds) you can increase the protein again (hello legumes and seafood) or add fermented veggies – always a winner!
This recipe is Gluten free, Grain free, Vegetarian, Paleo (leave out dairy), High protein
I N G R E D I E N T S
1 bunch of chard / spinach, stems removed, cleaned and chopped
1 large leek, thinly sliced and cleaned
1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup parsley / basil / chives / favourite herbs
5 organic eggs
1/4 cup milk of choice (I used almond as its what I had on hand in the fridge)
Juice from 1 lemon
1/4 cup sheep feta or ricotta cheese
pinch of chili, paprika, smoked spice etc as preferred
salt and pepper to season
M E T H O D
- In a pan (I used cast iron) add a little olive oil and gently soften the leeks and zucchini. While this is cooking turn on the oven to 160-170 degrees.
- When ready add the add the chard / spinach lightly soften.
- Once vegetables are soft, add them to a large mixing bowl to slightly cool.
- Add the remaining ingredients into the mixing bowl and stir well.
- Season as preferred.
- Place the frittata mixture into a large baking dish and place into the oven until cooked through. This will depend on your moisture : dry ratio and your oven. this took 30 minutes to cook through.
Serve with a fresh seasonal salad for lunch or dinner, or enjoy with some avocado and fermented veggies as a breakfast to-go option.
* Switch things up and add some nitrate free bacon, or increase the veggies and add some more greens.
** Can be made ahead of time as meal prep and enjoyed throughout the week