We see them on the supermarket shelves, on TV commercials and have kids begging for them … vita-gummies. Little sugar coated lollies pretending to be vitamins… you may be able to tell from my written tone, but I am less than thrilled about these gummies and the marketing towards children.
The reality is, you are able to create delicious little gut loving gummies at home! Free from additives, not coated in sugar and yet, still delicious and oh so nutritious!
So what is Gelatin? Well Gelatin, traditionally from bovine sources, is a rich source of protein! Rich in the building blocks; amino acids, that we require to help our body heal and strengthen from the inside out. Gelatin is a brilliant addition for people needing gut support, preconception and during pregnancy, children and elderly – yep that fits a lot of categories. The addition of the orange juice and vitamin C powder helps support our immune system.
Creating your own veggie gummies is taking wholefood living into your own hands, using food as medicine to support your gut health and in turn overall wellbeing.
This Recipe is Gluten Free, Dairy free, Refined sugar-free, Real food
I N G R E D I E N T S
2 cups of fresh vegetable/fruit juice. For this recipe, I used orange juice.
7 tablespoons 100% grass-fed / pasture raised, gelatin powder
1 tablespoon Vitamin C powder
1 teaspoon raw honey, optional
1 teaspoon AHARA HEALTH immune blend
M E T H O D
- Place the 2 cups of juice into a small saucepan.
- Sprinkle in the gelatin powder, and whisk. Set aside and allow the gelatin to bloom.
- Once the juice has hardened, place the saucepan on the stove and gently warm to melt. Once the juice is back into a liquid remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Add in the Vitamin C powder, and raw honey if using. Gently stir into the liquid.
- Pour the liquid into moulds or a lined baking tray.
- Place in the fridge overnight, or for a couple of hours if you can’t wait.
- Remove from the moulds, and place into an airtight container kept in the fridge to nibble on.
Get creative… you can use almost any juice, herbal tea, kombucha, coffee… the options are endless